Visitor Visa (B-2)
If you have family who wishes to visit during your time in the United States (especially for graduation), they will likely need a visitor visa in order to travel. This process is independent from Indiana Tech.
There are two main types of visitor visas: the Business (B-1) and the Tourism (B-2). Most often, your family would qualify for the Tourism visa. Below are examples of activities permitted with a visitor visa, as laid out by the US Department of State:
- Business (B-1)
- Consult with business associates
- Attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
- Settle an estate
- Negotiate a contract
- Tourism (B-2)
- Vacation (holiday)
- Visit with friends or relatives
- Medical treatment
- Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
- Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)
While on a Visitor Visa, you are not permitted to do any of the following:
- Paid performances, or any professional performance before a paying audience
- Arrival as a crewmember on a ship or aircraft
- Work as foreign press, in radio, film, print journalism, or other information media
- Permanent residence in the United States
All of the information about applying for a visitor visa can be found through the US Department of State:
Per that website:
There are several steps to apply for a visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary by U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Please consult the instructions on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website.
- Complete the Online Visa Application
- Schedule an Interview
- Prepare for the Interview
- Pay any fees
- Gather Required Documentation
- Passport, Non-immigrant Visa Application, Application Fee Receipt, Photo
- Attend the Interview
- Approval or Denial
Indiana Tech is not able to write a letter of support for your relatives or friends to receive a visitor visa. You should request a Graduation Verification Letter from Indiana Tech to provide evidence of your pending graduation and write a letter of invitation. Both of these documents can be used at the visitor visa appointment by your relatives.
We do have instructions for you (as the student) to write an invitation letter which can be used as additional documentation by your relatives at their interview. The letter of invitation should include a statement of your current status in the US, the purpose of the visit, the relationship of the individual, and the length of time the family member(s) will be visiting the US.
In regards to finances, it is important to report accurate information as to who is covering the expenses for the guest during travel. If the student plans to provide the family member’s living and travel expenses in the US, include this information in the letter. If the guest will be in charge of himself or herself financially, please state this in the letter. Proof of finances may be required at the visa appointment.
- Please fill in the brackets [ ] with the required information
- Make sure that you remove the brackets before printing the letter
- Proof read your letter
- Verify all information is spelled correctly and matches the person’s passport.
- Print the document on plain white paper
- Once printed, sign your name in the signature section
- Scan the letter into the computer and send to the invitee
Feel free to use our template:
[Local US Address]
U.S. [Consulate or Embassy]
To Whom It May Concern,
I am currently a [graduate/undergraduate] student at Indiana Institute of Technology in F-1 status with the SEVIS ID of [SEVIS ID Number]. I started my studies in [major] at Indiana Institute of Technology on [start date on I-20] and my expected completion date is [program end date on I-20].
I am writing in support of my [relationship to you: mother/father/sister/brother]’s application for a B-2 visitor visa to attend commencement on [commencement date].
Below is the visitor’s information:
Name: [Complete name as listed on passport]
Relationship to Student: [relationship]
Date of Birth: [Day Month Year]
Country of Citizenship: [on passport]
Passport Number: [on passport]
Included with this letter is a copy of my F-1 visa and a graduation verification letter from Indiana Institute of Technology. Thank you for your consideration.
[Signed by you in blue or black ink pen]
[Your Name as seen on passport]