Skip Navigation

F-2 Dependents

An F-2 dependent is a spouse or unmarried minor child of an F-1 visa student that is accompanying the student to the United States.

In order to request a Form I-20 for your dependent (spouse/child), please submit the following documents to the International Services office ( who will process your request within 3 business days.

You will need to submit:

  1. A photocopy of marriage license (spouse) and/or birth certificate (child)
    1. These must be in English
  2. Photocopy of passport of all F-2 dependents
  3. Completed Affidavit of Support form or government Financial Guarantee
    1. You will need to show the following amounts:
      1. Spouse = $5,000
      2. Each Child = $2,500
    2. Current Bank Statement (unless government sponsored)

With the above documents, the International Services office will be able to generate the I-20s. You will then need to arrange for the appointments for the visa appointments as necessary.

F-2 Restrictions

  1. Individuals in F-2 status may not accept employment or engage in business under any circumstances.
  2. F-2 study is restricted.
    1. F-2 children will be able to attend full time study at the K-12 level
    2. Spouses can study part time only
  3. Individuals in F-2 status who are wishing to study full-time or are turning 21 must change their status to F-1.
  4. The F-2 dependent status is only valid when the F-1 student is in valid status

F-2 Travel

F-2 dependents planning to travel outside the U.S. must have the following documents for re-entry.

  1. Valid F-2 form I-20 with a valid travel signature from a DSO not older than 12 months
  2. Valid passport – must be valid for 6 months into the future upon re-entry into the U.S.
  3. Valid F-2 Visa

F-1 to F-2 Requests

If you are currently in the United States as an F-1 student and looking to switch to F-2, you will need to reach out to the International Office for further instruction. Likely, you will need to complete a Change of Status.