Skip Navigation

Driver’s License and Personal Vehicle


Driving with a Foreign License

If you have a foreign driver’s license or international driver’s license, you can drive in the state of Indiana for one year from your original date of entry into the U.S. without restriction.

Obtaining Indiana Driver’s License and Indiana ID Card

To obtain an Indiana driver’s license and ID card, you will need to take tests at the BMV. Please prepare the documents as required. It is recommended to study before the test.

Required Paperwork

  1. Unexpired passport
  2. Valid visa
  3. Form I-94 (printed)
  4. Form I-20 or Form DS-2019
  5. Social Security Card *
  6. Two proofs of address
    • Bank statement (within 60 days)
    • Letter from Residence life (on campus) or rental agreement (off campus)
    • W-2 Form (issued by employers for tax purposes based on your income)

* If you do not have a social security number, you must obtain a “letter of denial for social security number.” You can get this letter at the social security office (see Social Security Number section)

BMV Locations

BMV New Haven License Branch
709 Lincoln Highway West
New Haven, IN 46774-2137
Find on Google Maps

BMV Fort Wayne Pine Valley
10204 Coldwater Rd
Fort Wayne, IN 46825-2035
Find on Google Maps

BMV Waynedale License Branch
6721 Old Trail Road, Suite 300
Fort Wayne, IN 46809
(260) 747-5764
Find on Google Maps